Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce Bergman Bruce Bergman is offline

Default Motorcycle without a title

On Sep 20, 11:26*am, Ignoramus19458 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19458.invalid wrote:
An upcoming auction nearby advertises an attractive motorcycle that is
"without a title".

I am highly reluctant to even consider, because I do not think that I
could register or sell it. I wanted to double check here to see if
there is any way to register a non-titled motorcycle, which I doubt is
the case.

Igor!

There are ways to get a new title, but they can be frustrating and
time consuming - So don't pay too much for the bike unless you're
willing to navigate that minefield - If the VIN comes up stolen you
just rolled Snake Eyes, and good luck unwinding the sale. If it's a
military bike coming in from Europe, that might be worth the hassles.

And you're being in Chicagoland, I guarantee that if you hit the wrong
clerk the process will be hella complicated unless you... {ahem}...
"grease the wheels" a little. (Research the vehicle codes and know
the process before you begin - it's in there. Then you'll know when
they deviate from the script.)

And if you can't tell, I'm Really not fond of doing things "The
Chicago Way". If it was me, the response would be "Will you take a
check? How do I spell your name, Mister..." and be prepared to run.
Then go find another DMV office - and this time have your pocket
recorder running.

Basically, you have to provide some sort of solid bill of sale or
proof of ownership - that goes back to the registered owner if you
can. They'll title search the existing VIN, and then there are
various ways they can get it issued a new title and tags. You might
have to post a small bond certificate in case the "real owner" shows
up and claims it.

And sometimes the state will insist on issuing you a new VIN that you
have to stamp into the chassis. This also happens on custom cars
and bikes and homemade trailers.

Or in my case, a Tow Dolly that had a factory issued VIN - that DEMCO
typed on a sticker 25 years ago, there's no way in hell you can read
it now. I called the factory, it's not stamped on the axle, they
didn't start that till recently. Only saving grace is, it doesn't
really need title and tags to use it - but it might be nice to ID it
if it does ever "walk away."

-- Bruce --