Posted to rec.woodworking

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:56:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/20/2011 11:31 AM, kansascats wrote:
Earlier someone had a photo of this idea. That was my original plan,
3/4" EMT that is 2.5" deep in the wood and extending 12" out of the
wood, seems to be able to support over 100#

The challenge is drilling the right size hole. Plan to get some
spade bits and grind them to the right size (OD of pipe/EMT)

The risk is the pipe pulls out of the hole when moving lumber
around.

I don't want the brackets themselves to take-up a lot of space. 1/2"
black pipe, or 3/4" EMT is ideal.

The OD on those is pretty large for using only 2x stock--I'd suggest
even smaller but as strong or stronger would be solid rod stock.

As for pulling out, just pin them--something as little as drilling a
hole and an 8d or 10d nail thru the side is plenty. Or, of course, the
expedient of a dollop of epoxy or construction adhesive in the hole when
inserting.

Somehow, methinks you're over thinking this considerable...

Yeah, by the time they get through fartin' around, they could have had
their Sterling rack up and stocked. I think my setup cost me a little
over $100 but it holds well over a ton of wood SAFELY. I slit 2" pvc
pipe and snugged it over the top of each bracket to avoid any plating
transfer or scuffing. http://goo.gl/11AiI

http://diversifycomm.com/wood/shopwall2.jpg bare rack
http://diversifycomm.com/wood/shopwall3.jpg Filled somewhat

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.