Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/20/2011 1:02 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
On 9/20/2011 12:31 PM, kansascats wrote:
Another option I'm testing --

-- drill a "properly sized hole" about 2.5" deep into a 2x (angle the
holes just a bit)
-- screw those to the wall studs (24" oc)
-- put 1/2" blackpipe (or 3/4" EMT) that fit snugly into those holes

Personally (and what do I know?), I'm not sure it's worth drilling
into the wall studs. What if you break them? Why not erect something
in front of the wall which rests on the concrete on the floor? One
can still use the black pipe, etc. Just a thought. I saw a picture
of a 3-level industrial-strength coat rack that I thought might work.

I did not interpret his plan to drill into the wall studs Bill. I
understand it to drill into a 2x which will then be secured to the wall
studs.

Yes Mike, you are correct. I already had the wrong picture in my mind
and didn't read close enough. I'm still undecided whether it might be
better to have an independent structure for wood storage--it would be
more relocatable (for instance).

Of the two, drilling into the wall studs would probably be stronger
because there is more wood above and below the hole, where the stresses are
going to be, but I'm not fond of either approach.