Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/20/2011 11:31 AM, kansascats wrote:
Earlier someone had a photo of this idea. That was my original plan,
3/4" EMT that is 2.5" deep in the wood and extending 12" out of the
wood, seems to be able to support over 100#

The challenge is drilling the right size hole. Plan to get some
spade bits and grind them to the right size (OD of pipe/EMT)

The risk is the pipe pulls out of the hole when moving lumber
around.

I don't want the brackets themselves to take-up a lot of space. 1/2"
black pipe, or 3/4" EMT is ideal.

The OD on those is pretty large for using only 2x stock--I'd suggest
even smaller but as strong or stronger would be solid rod stock.

As for pulling out, just pin them--something as little as drilling a
hole and an 8d or 10d nail thru the side is plenty. Or, of course, the
expedient of a dollop of epoxy or construction adhesive in the hole when
inserting.

Somehow, methinks you're over thinking this considerable...