Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/20/2011 12:31 PM, kansascats wrote:
Another option I'm testing --

-- drill a "properly sized hole" about 2.5" deep into a 2x (angle the
holes just a bit)
-- screw those to the wall studs (24" oc)
-- put 1/2" blackpipe (or 3/4" EMT) that fit snugly into those holes

Personally (and what do I know?), I'm not sure it's worth drilling into
the wall studs. What if you break them? Why not erect something in
front of the wall which rests on the concrete on the floor? One can
still use the black pipe, etc. Just a thought. I saw a picture of a
3-level industrial-strength coat rack that I thought might work.

Earlier someone had a photo of this idea. That was my original plan,
3/4" EMT that is 2.5" deep in the wood and extending 12" out of the
wood, seems to be able to support over 100#

The challenge is drilling the right size hole. Plan to get some
spade bits and grind them to the right size (OD of pipe/EMT)

The risk is the pipe pulls out of the hole when moving lumber
around.

I don't want the brackets themselves to take-up a lot of space. 1/2"
black pipe, or 3/4" EMT is ideal.

The idea is not to be able to store 100s of board feet of material,
but to get the bit I have off the floor and easily viewable and
sortable.