Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crime in decline, but why?

In article om,
says...

"Hawke" wrote in message
That's the headline today; Crime in decline, but why? FBI statistics show
that crime has fallen for eight straight years. Experts are not sure why.
They have some theories; an aging population, low inflation, and more and
smarter policing are some. The one theory that was not mentioned was
because of the gains in the number of people across the country with
concealed carry permits.

This is for those who have argued against me when I have said that there
is no support for the theory that crime declines because more people are
carrying concealed carry weapons. None of the experts has said this is a
reason for the drop in crime and that is because there is no evidence
showing that theory has any validity.

Crime has dropped everywhere including cities like L.A., where there is no
increase in people with CCW permits. So if crime drops and nobody is
getting a permit and crime drops where lots of people get permits it's
clear that the permits are not changing the statistics.

So does anyone still want to try and make the case that crime is down
because of the increase in people with CCW permits? Or are you finally
willing to admit being wrong? Oh yeah, and that I was right.

Hawke

Check the stats and how they were gathered. Lots of countries are having
declining crime stats because they no longer count thefts of low(er) value
as a crime. Reporting of theft is only valid if you have insurance, its
pointless
reporting if you will get nothing in return. Criminal activity tens years
ago is
no longer a crime, eg personal use of marijuana. Theft by corporations has
been moved to civil actions with police only acting if a bank or insurance
company has been defrauded by a customer, but not the other way around.

The stats in the US are gathered the same way they have always been
gathered. All categories of crime are decreasing, including murder,
other violent crime, rape, and motor vehicle theft.