Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reno Crash

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 21:21:58 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Coming down at that speed and G-force would cause a heart attack
even in the best. He was likely dead before he hit the ground.
Didn't wear a G-suit and was a Senior man.

Martin

On 9/18/2011 11:58 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/18/2011 3:30 AM, Richard wrote:

From Cy of the Navion group...

Trim tab came off causing plane pitch violently blacking pilot out
instantly. He didn't know what hit him. If you see the picture before
impact you will see tail wheel it. That means unlock broke at or above
8 g s.

Have to respect the input of an actual racer. But I wonder about him
blacking out. As the plane rolls up on edge, you can see the wings
waggle a bit. That would be aileron input, suggesting to me in the scant
moments he had left, he was trying to work out how to regain control. I
personally think he was conscious to the last, and realizing he was
likely done for, did what little he could to avoid as many people as
possible.

I noticed the tail wheel extended and that nobody has mentioned it
outside of your post. I've not seen that mechanism up close, but wonder
if 8g would be sufficient to cause failure of the lock?

One of my customers was there, fortunately this year he wasn't in the
box seats, but in past races has sat right in the general area impacted.
I would have been there, but too busy with work right now to get away.

It's a very sad day for the aviation community, but I hope this does not
bring an end to the races.

Jon

Do we KNOW he wasn't wearing a G-Suit???? A friend who races - but
not Reno style, does when he races - about half the speed of the Reno
boys.