Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC[_2_] TMC[_2_] is offline

Default I won't bother with Toolstation again

"Clive Page" wrote in message
A few months ago I read a longish thread here on Screwfix vs Toolstation,
in which at least some people seemed to think that Toolstation were better,
or at least cheaper. So when I needed to drill a few holes in plastic
(polymethylmethacrylate) I thought I'd give them a try, as their prices
were indeed cheaper than others I could find.

For the 14 mm hole I bought an "HSS Balcksmith Drill Bit" said to have a
reduced shank (item 73936). There's no information either in the
catalogue or online as to the diameter of the shank, but the illustration
shows the shank to be *much* smaller than the drill. So I got one - it's
in an opaque package so I couldn't inspect it in the shop. When I got it
home I found it to have a 12.5 mm shank, so the transition in size from
shank to drill is barely perceptible. I didn't have a chuck that would
take a shank that big, so I could use it only by grinding the shank down
to a sensible size (not easy with my primitive grinding skills).

description does say 'to enable use in standard drill chucks'

All of my drills have 1/2"/13mm chucks which I believe have been standard
for 30 years or more

a quick google for blacksmiths drill bit would have told you the shank size
although many suppliers describe them in the same terms as toolstation

regards