Posted to alt.home.repair
Fatter Than Ever Moe Fatter Than Ever Moe is offline

Default Stair accidents and how to avoid them and lessen their impact

Robert Green wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On 9/13/2011 2:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:

stuff snipped

I'm thinking if you live alone, one of those "Help, I've fallen and I
can't get up" panic buttons is a good idea. Think they cost about
$30/month and have the receiver on your phone line. In this case he
could have sent for help when stranded in the lift.

All kinds of things could happen besides the situation you describe.
If my father had had one, his stroke may not have put him in a nursing
home as it went unnoticed for several hours and immediate treatment
could have prevented his dementia. I know of someone else that used it
when a burglar broke into their house.

Ironically, he had one of those pendants but didn't use it when the lift
failed because he didn't want the fire department coming and axing down his
front door!!! Go figure. He's probably alive for having one because once
he was crumpled up at the bottom of the stairs, he didn't care so much about
the door (which turned out to be unlocked).

Sorry to hear about your dad. From what I know, he's not alone in having
that happen. Plenty of stroke victims living alone aren't discovered until
they are dead. Living alone gets to be dangerous as you get older. I've
had some nasty spills, so did both my parents when they were still alive.
My wife's first husband banged his head after falling off a ladder and was
never the same afterward. His loss, my gain. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Did you have to marry her to get the ladder?