Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Reno Crash

"Richard" wrote

And for the boob that questioned his age?
They ALL have Class One flight physicals - just like airline pilots.
That trumps your drivers license question by ten miles.

Sad...

But it does happen.

Richard

I'm the boob that questioned his age. There are lots of people who get
driver's licenses who shouldn't be driving. But they can be good for the
ten minutes it takes to pass the test. Then they get unleashed on the real
world.

I do not know what it takes to pass a physical for a pilot's license. Is
there a stress test on a treadmill? Are there pushups? Pullups? Things
like that that simulate what a pilot goes through in a 500 mph race plane on
a tight course? I think not. The examination has little to do with what
the license entitles the pilot to do in this case. For others who just sit
in a chair and doze off during autopilot, and move levers and dials every
few hours, it may be sufficient.

This man was 74 years old, and in apparent good health. That does not
automatically qualify him for a license where lots of people are put at
risk. It is no evaluation of how he can or will perform under extreme
stress and exertion. It does not test his susceptibility to passing out
under G pressure at his age.

What's the worst thing that could happen? He could have an "incident" and
pass out?

I believe the facts speak pretty well for themselves.

If I knew there was going to be a 74 year old pilot in that fast and furious
of a plane race, I'd choose to watch the reruns on TV. I wouldn't go any
closer than five miles.

Lastly, there is NO comparison between an examination for a CLASS ONE
pilot's license and a driver's license. NONE, NONE, NONE! That is an
absurd point. Big deal. The pilot is medically within parameters. How
will he do in a strenuous race? Apparently ..................

Steve