Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How can I tell a wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:01:16 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:54:16 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

On Sep 12, 9:13*pm, micky wrote:
It's been so long snce I put a new blade on my home bandsaw, I don't
remember if it's for cutting metal or wood. *I should have put a label
on the saw, but didn't (because I used to remember such things.)

*Now I have some steel to cut, and I need to know! *How can I tell a
wood-cutting bandsaw blade from a metal cutting one?

Unless you can slow down your bandsaw or are cuting soft stock like
aluminum , you are likely to just strip the teeth off the blade.

I can slow it down.

I bought a new-to-me Toyoata Solara in South Carolina, where they
don't have front license plates. I had 30 days to get plates in Md.
fand didn't realize until the day I got the plates that there is no
bracket. What dealers who sell cars in Md. do is drill holes
straight through the rubber bumber into the metal thing underneath. I
can't bring myself to do that.

Yes, it was the metal-cutting blad and it went through the steel like
butter. The bracket came from an obsolete computer I junked. If it
turns out I need thicker, I'll cut a piece from one of the sides.

Thanks.

Came across this thread on another scavenger site:
http://www.homekb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx...-metal-cutting

It doesn't even say what the source of the posts are, alt.home.repair,
on Usenet.

People there would be so much better if they read news directly.

My google search on the topic was reloaded and it found my own thread
here, even though I googled before all the answers.