Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8416 Ignoramus8416 is offline

Default What do you think about this trailer

On 2011-09-17, ATP wrote:
Yep those work for a lot of applications, like those with stable
relatively low COG rolling loads like tractors. Machinery tends to be
small footprint and high COG like a Bridgeport, so having a level drop
deck that only presents a few inch lip is a lot easier and safer for
to move loads vs. an expensive forklift.
The dropdeck is definitely better. But with a winch mounted on the front of
the tilt deck, you can move a lot of stuff fairly safely. I moved a
Bridgeport with a landscape trailer by removing the back ramp and jacking up
the front until the back of the deck was on the ground. Not ideal, but I got
the machine in my garage.

Guys, sorry for a dumb questionm how do those tilt beds work? Are they
supposed to be raised unloaded, then equipment driven on, and it would
drop back to its original position when the forklift or bobcat deives
far enough forward? Is that right?

Depends on the design but what you have is right for many.

When empty they will tilt up so you can load. Some use hydraulics,
others use a sliding axle system, others just gravity.

That trailer you posted looks like a standard beavertail that doesn't
actually tilt. You drop the rear ramps and drive up those.

It does tilt, for sure. I cannot try it right now, because it is
loaded.