Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Burnishing a Scraper

On 09/14/2011 07:02 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Well, I really wasn't asking about the product so much as the practice.

Is there much of a difference in how the tool cuts?

I find it a bit grabbier. I also will hit the grinder after burnishing
a number of times. Just seems to cut better after being ground but the
burnish is a quick way to get a burr/hook back on.

As mentioned, you don't need the Lee Valley device - try it w/a
screwdriver or something first. If you like it, buy the Lee Valley
burnisher. If not, nothing lost.

Test on a piece of scrap, or early on when you still have enough wood to
recover if it misbehaves...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska