Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7432 Ignoramus7432 is offline

Default What do you think about this trailer

On 2011-09-16, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus844" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1036.jpg.html

It is 10k lbs and has a tilt bed (I believe). Also has ramps.

I want to use it for surplus dealings for larger items. Any comments?

It was made special for some piece of equipment. It is going to have a lot
of tongue weight. Channel construction looks pretty stout. Diamond plate
fenders. Nicely made, just wondering about load distribution. How much?

Steve

Weight distribution is OK, I cal lift the pintle by myself (it is hard
though). I am not proud of what I paid, but I need to use it today and
I need it in general, and it works. Bearings seem to stay cool.

Bearings will certainly stay cool (if you keep them greased) since you
will never be able to load the trailer to it's rated capacity without
overloading your truck. The overall point we're trying to make is that
since that trailer is built for more weight than your truck can handle
by a large amount, you are loosing significant cargo capacity to the
trailers excessively heavy construction.

Is there a data plate with the curb/light weight on the trailer? I'll
guess it's 6,000-7,000# which eats up most of your truck's 10,000# gross
trailer load rating. My 24' enclosed trailer weighs 3,800# or so giving
me 6,200# cargo capacity on a normal 10,000# rated hitch. My truck has a
class IV receiver so I can push the trailer weight up an extra 1,000#+
for even more safe cargo capacity (trailer axles are 7,000# and tires
2,880# for 11,500#+ rated capacity).

I am guessing that the empty trailer weighs 2,000 lbs, 3,000 at most.