Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What do you think about this trailer

On 2011-09-16, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus844 wrote:

It is 10k lbs and has a tilt bed (I believe). Also has ramps.

I want to use it for surplus dealings for larger items. Any comments?

Yes - that's a pintle loop sliding out the left edge of the picture.
Since we've previously established that you don't have a large
commercial-type truck, you are not equipped to pull this thing.

Why, I always use a pintle hitch for my enclosed trailer, works
great.

I have a 3/4 ton truck.

Putting a pintle hook in the receiver of a pickup does not magically
make the pickup suitable to pull a pintle-loop level of load. This
thing wants a dump truck to pull it.

I am not sure what it wants, personaly, but it tows just fine, as I
discovered 10 minutes ago.

Yes, it will tow fine unloaded, however you will not be able to load
much cargo without exceeding your hitch tongue weight rating. Those dump
trucks that this trailer is intended to be towed by have tongue weight
capacities several times that of your hitch.

Since this trailer is intended to be towed by those medium duty trucks,
it's curb weight alone will be a good chunk of your total trailer
capacity and you will not be able to reach the trailer's cargo rating
without significantly exceeding your hitch rating.

Keep looking.

I think the suggestion to look for a gooseneck is a good one, if hauling
with a pickup (you've got what - a 3/4 ton?) - having experienced a
trailer removing the bumper of a 1-ton crew-cab truck, it's the sort of
experience I'd suggest avoiding. A gooseneck is a much more robust
hitch, that puts the trailer load in a far better place.

I personally have a proper trailer hitch. A gooseneck is a fifth wheel
setup, right? So it uses up the trailed bed space?

A gooseneck hitch takes up pickup bed space, however there is still
quite a bit of useable space for lower toolboxes, fuel cans, rigging
supplies and the like. While your receiver hitch can handle a 500#
tongue weight (1,000# with a weight distributing hitch), a gooseneck
hitch can take 3,000# or more of hitch weight (subject to vehicle
ratings) and it places it properly on your rear axle which also puts the
pivot point at a better location.

A typical 3/4T pickup can handle a 10,000# gross trailer weight with a
1,000# tongue weight on a receiver hitch. A typical 3/4T pickup can
handle a 15,000#+ gross trailer weight with a 1,500#+ pin weight on a
gooseneck hitch. The difference becomes more dramatic as you move up to
a 1T or larger truck since the receiver hitch capacity doesn't really
increase.