Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What do you think about this trailer

On 2011-09-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:30:50 -0500, Ignoramus844
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1036.jpg.html

It is 10k lbs and has a tilt bed (I believe). Also has ramps.

I want to use it for surplus dealings for larger items. Any comments?

IMHO, if you're planning on hauling serious weight, you need a 5th
wheel / gooseneck trailer. These trailers are made for serious tonge
weight and a one ton or more truck to pull it makes a nice
combination.

This trailer is too heavy leaving little load capacity with the bumper
hitch being the problem. Now, these do work well behind a 2+ ton dump
truck.

Karl

Karl, not to argue, but aren't they all like this?

The trailer you originally referenced is far more heavily built relative
to it's deck area. I don't know what the gross weight spec on it is, but
it will eat up a lot of your towing capacity with it's curb/light weight
unless you get the noted 2+ ton dump truck which is what it was intended
to be towed with. That trailer is for a Bobcat type loader to be pulled
behind a dump truck, and not much else.

This is a Kaufman trailer: http://goo.gl/iEi7V

That is a normal equipment trailer and will have a lower curb/light
weight leaving you more hauling capacity.

The wheels also seem to be pretty far to the back.

That is also normal. Typically you would be loading the equipment -
tractor, Bobcat, etc. centered over the axles and the space up front
carries other attachments, fuel cans, or materials.

None of these trailers are really ideal for your needs, though they are
common and inexpensive used. See my other post for what you really need.