Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

Larry Fishel wrote the following:
On Sep 15, 3:37 pm, Rico dJour wrote:
When I was a middling lad a neighbor's house blew up like someone
dropped a bomb on it. A propane tank in the garage somehow went off.
No idea of the size of the tank, but it's an area that the only
propane used is for gas grills. The wife died, the husband lived, and
parts of the house were found hundreds of yards away.

Home made (accidentally) FAE. The tank "going off" would likely have
just burned the house down. If the house was blown into little pieces,
then what most likely happened was that a leaking tank filled the
garage with just the right mixture of propane and air, and some
ignition source detonated that.

I have both a fridge and a chest freezer in my attached garage, so
either could be a source of ignition of propane fumes. The only fuel I
keep in the garage is a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can, and then only in
the winter when I keep my garden tractor equipped with a snow blower
attachment in there, which also contains gasoline. I have to keep the
tractor in there in the winter because I can't leave it out in the shed,
like I can do in the summer when it has a mower attached, because the
throttle and choke cables freeze up to where they are useless and the
tractor won't start.
It's a two car garage but a car was only parked in there when the house
was new. There's no room for a car in there anymore. I have to move
stuff around just to get the tractor in there. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY