Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default Burnishing a Scraper

On 9/15/2011 9:59 AM, tom koehler wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:25:12 -0500, Drew Lawson wrote
(in ):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,49233&p=20266

Well, I must admit my own vast ignorance. Never having even considered such a
concept, I had to take a look at the website link you provided. I beleive
this tool will work nicely, and provide the leverage needed to burnish a
cutting hook edge on the end of a lathe chisel ordinarily used for scraping
cuts. The problem is, that for a beginning turner, scraping technique is
radically different from the cutting or slicing technique. I use a scraping
technique in much of my own turning, as it allows me to tune up my cutting or
slicing efforts. I am not so skilled with gouge or skew that I can produce a
final finished contour with these.

Now, here you are, with your scraper chisel, with its newly turned hook burr
on the cutting edge, and you approach your spinning billet of wood in the
same manner as you would ordinarily do for a scraping pass. WHOCK! You just
got a horrendous dig as the wood caught about 3/8 of an inch of razor sharp
slicing burr all at once.

A cabinet scraper uses a burnished hook cutting edge to create satin smooth
finished surfaces. The technique though is a very particular scraping one,
done at a very slow speed compared to the relative high speed between rapidly
spinning wood and stationary chisel on a lathe.

If you do decide to burnish a cutting hook edge on the end of a scraping
chisel, be prepared to learn a different technique with it, because it will
not be the anywhere near the same as what you are accustomed to now.

tom koehler

the problem with scrapers is that it looks like you are supposed to use
them flat on the tool rest, but I have never gotten a good cut that way
- I turn them on edge so they form a shear cut - maybe 80 deg from
horizontal, that will with a sharp edge produce nice fine shavings and a
finish cut - but used flat, it is asking for tearout or the bit catch
tom mentioned above