Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Burnishing a Scraper

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
"Lobby Dosser" writes:
"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
The Lee Valley catalog came in the mail today, and so I'll probably
be up a bit later than I should be.

One thing I see, that isn't new, but I keep forgetting to ask about,
is a burnisher for turning scrapers:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,49233&p=20266

I don't recall any discussion of this for turning tools, at least
not here. Does anyone have experience with burnishing vs. grinding
for scraper hooks and how they cut?

It sounds like something very quick (even quicker than spinning up
the grinder) to refresh.

I find scrapers very friendly to this (slow moving) newbie bowl
turner, and I'm tempted for a payday or two from now. (Of course,
the garage may be getting cold by then.)

Why wait. I use a heavy Phillips head screwdriver - round shank - clamp
scraper in vise and burnish. Getting the proper angle is what the LV tool
gets you. Patience and practice can get you that.

Well, I really wasn't asking about the product so much as the practice.

Is there much of a difference in how the tool cuts?

Yes, Burnish.