Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

On Sep 15, 4:20*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
willshak wrote:

Rico dJour wrote the following:
On Sep 15, 11:02 am, willshak wrote:
X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair

I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company..
It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
Anyone have any ideas?

I can't help you with your quest, but have you asked the propane
companies if they'd have issues with filling a largish tank owned by
the customer? *There might be liability issues that would throw a
wrench in your plans. *Filling their own tanks keeps the liability
within their control. *There might be insurance issues that prevent
them from filling your tank. *They might also have issues with filling
a tank where there's no 'contract' or assurance of continuity.
Automatic delivery is the easiest thing for them. *Changing customers
costs the company money.

I think those questions have to be answered before you start shopping..

Yeah, I kinda assumed that when I couldn't find the tanks on line.
Propane is explosive, unlike fuel oil.
Maybe I should just abandon the idea.

You can buy tanks from the propane suppliers if you want. Most people
just lease the tanks and the propane company takes care of any
maintenance, replaces the tank if there is a problem, etc. If you own
the tank you will have to pay if there is a problem. Propane suppliers
will generally fill owner tanks as long as they pass inspection.

My parents bought a 500 gallon tank YEARS ago. Sold the house and land
a few years ago and the tank went with it.