Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_3_] Doug Miller[_3_] is offline

Default New shop, electrical question

On 9/14/2011 8:46 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:47:15 -0400, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 9/13/2011 8:41 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I should have told you I only used the blue color as an example, he was using a
multi colored wire bundle in a totally haphazard fashion, connecting blues to
greens

That *is* a violation.

to oranges... whatever was convenient, and changing color mid-run is a
code violation as far as I know.

"as far as [you] know" the Code doesn't seem to be very far. :-)

I don't think he had any white wires in what I saw.

He didn't need any. Gray is acceptable for neutral.

The Code specifies that neutral must be white or gray; ground must be
bare, green or green with a yellow stripe; and that those colors can be
used for no other purposes. It makes no mention whatsoever of blue,
black, red, orange, or any other colors, with respect to residential
wiring. Unless he was using blue wire for ground or neutral, it's
perfectly fine.

I didn't say he used it for hot, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

You claimed that using a blue wire was a violation. It's not.

and he told me "It's my barn I'll wire it any way I want!" Pity the
electrician who goes there later to fix it!

Why? Any electrician should be able to figure out that a blue wire is hot.

Unless it's ground.

And if it's installed as such, that's a violation. But there's nothing
at all wrong with using blue wires, your delusions to the contrary
notwithstanding.

I should have reported the idiot.

He was right, you were not. Who's the idiot?

I'd say you are...

Why? Because I know the Code and you don't?

because you have no sense of humor... and you like side-stepping my questions.

Are you an electrician by the way?

No. Never claimed to be, either. I don't need to ask you that question;
I already know the answer.

Of course I'm not an electrician, I'm a technician, I have an IBEW card for my
work in telecommunications.

Surely the IBEW has some sort of classes you can take to learn
something, anything, about the NEC so that you don't sound quite so
silly when you discuss it...