Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

" I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Bite the bullet and use plastic or aluminum instead of wood. Not a fan of
wrapping. Seen too many cases, on this house and others, where you end up
with intact wrapping over black gunk where the wood used to be. If the
wood is already up, make sure you have weep holes or other paths in the
wrap for trapped water to escape, and make sure the soffit does not slope
toward the house, or into the wall is where the water will go. (Took me
about half an hour of staring at the non-matching kitchen window here,
before the light bulb went off, and I figured out why they had to replace
it.)

*I agree. I've seen it many times where the wrapped fascia looks great and
the wood behind it is wet and rotting. I guess the wood absorbs moisture
and because it is wrapped, the water stays trapped inside.