Old September 14th 11, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Old September 14th 11, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Hi,
Al will last longer, fire resistant as well. When this house was built
in '94 Al. was installed, it still looks good. Vinyl is weak against
hail storm too.
Old September 14th 11, 04:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:

I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Aluminum, if you can afford it. Vinyl-clad aluminum, if you're feeling rich.
;-)

Vinyl can sag and can look terrible. Aluminum is almost as easy to work with.
A circular saw (I used a RAS) with a plywood blade in backwards (AND HEARING
PROTECTION) cuts it very easily. It goes up easily and looks great. Soffits
and Facia are a piece of cake.

Old September 14th 11, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:47*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
ls02 wrote:

I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

There really is very little difference in installation with the fascia
cover. Aluminum soffit can span a bit more than vinyl as it's more
rigid. There will be a bigger difference in appearance from surface
texture (faux wood grain versus smooth, for example) than between
vinyl and aluminum. Similar textures look pretty much the same from
the ground.

Hi,
Al will last longer, fire resistant as well. When this house was built
in '94 Al. was installed, it still looks good. Vinyl is weak against
hail storm too.

Aluminum will last longer than vinyl? Vinyl fascia doesn't hold up to
hail? Huh?

Aluminum will last a long time, sure, but the paint on the aluminum
will start chalking long before the aluminum gives up the ghost.
Fascia covers are mainly an aesthetic thing - if you lose the paint,
you lose a lot of the benefit. That won't happen with vinyl.

A fascia cover is fully supported. Fully supported vinyl is just as
strong as fully supported aluminum. However hail can dent aluminum
even if it's fully supported, but it won't dent vinyl. Soffits never
get hit by hail.

Old September 14th 11, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Aluminum, if you can afford it. *Vinyl-clad aluminum, if you're feeling rich.
;-)

Vinyl can sag and can look terrible. *Aluminum is almost as easy to work with.
A circular saw (I used a RAS) with a plywood blade in backwards (AND HEARING
PROTECTION) cuts it very easily. *It goes up easily and looks great. Soffits
and Facia are a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone. I never heard of Vinyl-clad aluminum. How is it
better than plain aluminum? I also though you cut aluminum coil with
metal snipers.

I have two questions:

1. How to bend aluminum? I don't have any specialized equipment.

2. How to patch aluminum seams to look good? Should I use caulk?

Old September 14th 11, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 14, 10:43*am, ls02 wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Yep, those making recommendations didn't read the last part of your
message. Although aluminum and vinyl clad aluminum are the better
products, they are also harder to install for the average homeowner.
You need to rent/borrow a metal brake to bend the aluminum. You also
need to make exact measurements and carefully plan out compound
bends. In other words you need the tools & experience to do a decent
job yourself. Vinyl is much easier to install for the average
homeowner.

Old September 14th 11, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 10:59*am, Red wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:43*am, ls02 wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "

wrote:
[...]

homeowner.- Hide quoted text -

Baloney.

I did AL soffits and fascia using stock big-box AL and never had to
bend anything. Took some planning, but all I used were tinnersnips
and a power drill and stainless steel screws. Hail damage not likely,
vinyl will deteriorate with time, painting will not help. AL will need
repainting at some point in time, but the basic material will not
weaken with time.
Old September 14th 11, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

ls02 wrote:

[...]

Depends.

Vinyl gets brittle as it ages.

I lost some in a golf ball hail storm.
Aluminum probably would have dented.

A whole bunch of the vinyl will be under the eaves and not exposed but
there are usually some parts that are exposed.

--
Dan Espen
Old September 14th 11, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:43:30 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Aluminum, if you can afford it. *Vinyl-clad aluminum, if you're feeling rich.
;-)

Vinyl can sag and can look terrible. *Aluminum is almost as easy to work with.
A circular saw (I used a RAS) with a plywood blade in backwards (AND HEARING
PROTECTION) cuts it very easily. *It goes up easily and looks great. Soffits
and Facia are a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone. I never heard of Vinyl-clad aluminum. How is it
better than plain aluminum? I also though you cut aluminum coil with
metal snipers.

It is just that. It's aluminum with a vinyl coating. It has the best
qualities of both. No need to use coil stock for what you're doing.

I have two questions:

1. How to bend aluminum? I don't have any specialized equipment.

For soffits and fascia you don't need to bend anything. Well, *maybe* the end
caps, but I had them done at the roofing supply place where I bought the
siding.

2. How to patch aluminum seams to look good? Should I use caulk?

No. You don't seal them at all. It's gotta be able to move.
Old September 14th 11, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:59:29 -0700 (PDT), Red wrote:

On Sep 14, 10:43*am, ls02 wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. I didn't make a single bend. I did have a couple of end caps made
for me at the dealer but the layout was a little odd. The soffits and fascia
parts are sold in 12'6" sections, IIRC. Just cut to length. The soffits run
crosswise so they were cut into 24" pieces and run between a J-channel on the
wall and the fascia piece, then interlocked together. Simple!