Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

On 9/14/2011 10:23 AM, ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Bite the bullet and use plastic or aluminum instead of wood. Not a fan
of wrapping. Seen too many cases, on this house and others, where you
end up with intact wrapping over black gunk where the wood used to be.
If the wood is already up, make sure you have weep holes or other paths
in the wrap for trapped water to escape, and make sure the soffit does
not slope toward the house, or into the wall is where the water will go.
(Took me about half an hour of staring at the non-matching kitchen
window here, before the light bulb went off, and I figured out why they
had to replace it.)

--
aem sends...