Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:34:16 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

I did AL soffits and fascia using stock big-box AL and never had to
bend anything. Took some planning, but all I used were tinnersnips
and a power drill and stainless steel screws. Hail damage not likely,
vinyl will deteriorate with time, painting will not help. AL will need
repainting at some point in time, but the basic material will not
weaken with time.

On my house the white AL soffit and fascia looks good 51 years later.
Still all white. Never cleaned it in the 14 years I've been here.
That soffit is about 10 inches.
I put white AL gutters, fascia and soffit on my garage about 12 years
ago with my brother, who was the brains of that.
The overhang soffit is almost 3 feet nailed at ends only and hasn't
sagged.
He had the gutters rolled to size, but everything else was stock size
from a retail supplier.
I recall snipping the soffit length to size but the fascia width was
fine, corner wrap pre-formed and read to go.
We didn't need a brake.
The guys who flashed my windows used a brake.

--Vic