Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Stair accidents and how to avoid them and lessen their impact

"Steve B" wrote in message news:_aWbq.39502

I've
had some nasty spills, so did both my parents when they were still

alive.
My wife's first husband banged his head after falling off a ladder and

was
never the same afterward. His loss, my gain. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Mary goes to visit her friend, Rhonda. Every time Rhonda's husband comes
into the room, or she speaks to him, she calls him Honey, Sweetheart,
Darling, or some other term of intimate endearment. Mary finally asks
Rhonda how she and her husband keep the spark of romance so alive so and

so
apparent. Mary says, "It's not that. Most of the time I just can't
remember the old *******'s name."

Reminds me a little of the Peter Sellers gag when someone sees him next to a
little dog and asks: "Does your dog bite?" and he replies "no." Seconds
later the dog latches on and the man screams "I thought you said he didn't
bite?" "That's not my dog."

I had a two year recovery from a traumatic brain injury, and some things
never got right.

Wow. That's tough. Sorry to hear about it. Going through early stages of
Alzheimer's myself and am encountering very weird things like the melding of
memories and not being able to remember whether I did something or not.
Fortunately the net's offered about a zillion coping strategies and some of
them actually work. Not sure if I'll get to the point where Post-it notes,
voice recorders, phone call logs, talking timers, talking pill boxes and a
wife who can remember every bad word I've ever said don't help anymore.
Today I found last quarter's estimated tax payments in a folder with stamped
envelopes that I was sure I mailed and didn't.

Stuff like that really burns me because the truth has become fuzzy. I
probably remember a previous mailing of the checks and it's leaking over
into medium term memory. Next step is to wear a helmet cam that films me
doing things I am likely to forget I've done. Unfortunately, most of the
problems come from things I *haven't* done or thought I did.

I'm going to try to get on a new test protocol where they use an insulin
nose spray to retard the progress of Alzheimer's (we call it Oldtimers
disease around here). I'm hoping even if I don't get in, I can find an MD
to prescribe it for diabetes and run a test myself. My wife thinks I am
crazy to even try it but she's not the one that can forget the names of
friends and family members on too many occasions. I *know* she would try it
if somehow she starting gaining 10 pounds a month.

--
Bobby G.