Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Stair accidents and how to avoid them and lessen their impact

On 9/13/2011 8:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

I know strokes are in the family history and one is on the horizon
for me if the other things wrong with me haven't done me in by then.

I'm getting old too and figure I've fallen 6 times in last year.
One on ice, I sprained my wrist and apparently chipped a bone that I
did not know about. Found out after 2nd fall where I sprained my
thumb and xray showed older break. Wife even got one on her flip
cam while I was using snow thrower. She wanted me to put it on
u-tube.

At 62, I fell sevaral times last winter, but didn't get hurt other than a sore
back for a few weeks. But that is the advantage of falling while snowboarding.
It's softer.

I now wear cargo pants all the time and make sure that there's a
prepaid but unactivated cell phone in my pocket (Fry's was selling
them for $7 each at one point). Since the FCC mandates that
emergency calls must be put through no matter what the billing status
of the phone, I figure it's a small price to pay for having something
that I can reach 911 with. I found out the hard way that once you
activate them, they drain money way faster than battery power. )-;
"Pay only for the calls you make" they say. Liars. The newer phones
and batteries will go almost a year without needing a recharge if
they're not turned on.

I picked up a used one at a yard sale maybe 10 years ago. I charge it every few
years, just in case. It always seems to work when I check it. It's in the car
just in case. I used it twice, when my car died on raised areas of the freeway.

Best replace it soon. 10 YO means analog, most likely, and even if your
area still supports analog, it won't for long. Just for the sake of a
young battery, I'd splurge and spend 10-15 bucks on a pre-paid candy-bar
phone. Don't bunch the buttons to activate it, just cut it out of the
blister pack, put it in a baggie along with the activation card, and
throw that in the glove box.

--
aem sends...