Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Special purpose low-power air conditioning - metal involved!

On 9/13/2011 11:52 PM, Bruce Bergman wrote:
Me too - that 9KW one is air cooled, with the permanent magnet "sealed" generator end and "Silent Pack" fully enclosed motor would be perfect for things like that - Small and easy to find a place for.

Fit your sailboat with an Azi-Pod or two.

I started looking at Hatz because nobody in the US makes a good reliable _small_ 1- or 2-cyl diesel for little uses. (I was originally thinking about making a *Real* Diesel-Electric Locomotive in 7-1/2" gauge with a 90V generator and traction motors.) And the 3-Cyl Kubotas for Reefers are going to be a bit too big to fit in a scale F-7A/B set.

Diesel is a lot less hazardous to carry on a boat, and if you have a source for B85 Bio-Diesel...

Looks like the cooling fan is sandwiched on the tail end of the engine between the engine and generator, and there isn't even an accessory drive or rope pull coming out the "front" - this might be a problem if you need to recoil start it. Or you want to hang a Sanden AC Compressor off the front end.

Only problem I can see is the only brochure up shows they are 240/330V 3PH 50 Hz or 480/5XX 3Ph 50 Hz 3,000 RPM. Doesn't even list a Single Phase 120/240V option, let alone 120/208 3Ph.

And you might want to take the performance hit of 1800 RPM and a 4-pole SP/6-pole 3Ph generator rather than listen to it straining at 3600.

http://www.hatz-diesel.com/index.php

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0743_200310743

And a Hatz 10 electric start used to power a Paceship 25
http://paceshipseastwind25.wordpress...ngine-options/

Seems like there are a lot of small air cooled diesels used in Asia...

How big would that 1800 rpm generator be physically?
That sounds sweet (bad pun but true!)