Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] BobF@somewhere.com is offline

Default New shop, electrical question

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:21:53 -0400, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 9/12/2011 10:34 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:49:54 -0400, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 9/11/2011 8:47 PM,
wrote:

My point was that people don't care if they damage the armor because they think
it serves no electrical purpose. They wouldn't react the same to seeing the
wires hanging out! And it's easier to disconnect the armor than the ground wire.

And *my* point is that people who know what they're doing understand
what the armor is for; it's only people who are not familiar with the
Code who think the armor serves no electrical purpose...

You're assuming most people have the knowledge of electricians...

To the contrary, I assume that most people do *not* have that knowledge,
specifically including *you*.

the opposite
is true. I once watched a guy wiring his barn with some industrial wire he
bought. I told him he couldn't use the 'blue' wires because they were not in
code,

You were wrong.

I should have told you I only used the blue color as an example, he was using a
multi colored wire bundle in a totally haphazard fashion, connecting blues to
greens to oranges... whatever was convenient, and changing color mid-run is a
code violation as far as I know. I don't think he had any white wires in what I
saw.

The Code specifies that neutral must be white or gray; ground must be
bare, green or green with a yellow stripe; and that those colors can be
used for no other purposes. It makes no mention whatsoever of blue,
black, red, orange, or any other colors, with respect to residential
wiring. Unless he was using blue wire for ground or neutral, it's
perfectly fine.

I didn't say he used it for hot, you jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

and he told me "It's my barn I'll wire it any way I want!" Pity the
electrician who goes there later to fix it!

Why? Any electrician should be able to figure out that a blue wire is hot.

Unless it's ground.

I should have reported the idiot.

He was right, you were not. Who's the idiot?

I'd say you are...

Are you an electrician by the way?