Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default [OT] Followup: Roofing Sheet Metal

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:53:18 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

You also need a 'comezoutta'. Before the re-roof,
we had full length ridge vents. After the re-roof,
we had a few of these dinky little useless
'eyebrow' vents. No Comezoutta.

Prayer:
May that roofing company fold before doing more damage.
Amen.

They and their ilk are going gangbusters.
My next door neighbor just had a re-roof by
another company, indistinguishable from my
sadists. You guessed it. Just a few teeny
little 'eyebrow vents' for the exhaust part.
Doubtlessly, they are sweltering and the
shingles are not long for this world.

Shame on that company, too.

Illustration: I was replacing rafter-end-vent
grills on the end of the house opposite the
incoming prevailing wind. Each time I would
pop a grill off, I'd get a face full of hot air
from the attic. Now, that air should have been
exiting out the top of the house instead.
It had nowhere to go, as a practical matter.

Not a good sign.

"Golly!", I exclaimed. "This cannot be right!"

Or words to that effect.

Yesterday, I noticed lots of hot air coming out
of my solar powered vents near the roof peak.

That's better!

(Wheely turbine deals)
http://www.elproofing.com/roofing/_images/turbine.jpg

The aesthetics chief would have hit the roof!

Bbbut, all the guys in your neighborhood would have followed suit 'cuz
they look neat, all chrome barberstripey and stuff.

Meh. The neighbors across the street had two of them
on the top of their house for years.
They looked awful aesthetically and beautiful,
fluid-dynamically. I haven't looked at their re-roof
to see, but I suspect they are now sweltering just as
we were, because of teeny little eyebrow vents.

Besides, who
wears...never mind.titter

"Macho" is highly overrated.
IMHO. (Feel free to disagree.)

Look deeper in that article you linked to. Another guy said 25F
differences were noted.

In some cases the *surface* of the shingles are
that much hotter. I trust that the stone granules
are up to the task.

And you're Californicators. Doesn't she
follow the AGWKers? "It's For the Planet!"

That's a broad brush there Larry!

SWMBO ain't interested in that stuff.
She stays eerily silent when I say stuff like:
"Of course things are warming up as part of a
natural cycle." and "We are in an interglacial
period; climate change is inevitable."

(...)

Condolences.

Heh! No reason for that.

(...)

That should have clued you into the roofing scammers. The normal
warranty periods are 20, 25, 30, and a few 40 year. Guys who put 50
year warranties prolly think "Hell, we'll be out of business in 3, why
not up the warranty period? We won't be honoring it anyway."

Insurance is fraud.
We get to choose who steals our money and that is it.
With EDD, we don't even get *that* choice.

Hmm, GAF is now putting a lifetime warranty on their Timberline
series. I sit corrected.

Now stop squirming!

(Color / heatrise relationship)

Oh, you didn't know?

See above. I suspected, but the aesthetics director made
the call. They look very nice.

Feh! http://goo.gl/jQIck $1k rebate for "green" shingles?
Would SWMBO still have gone with the prettier stuff, or would she have
been sensible?/rub

The scam is to promise something in large print
and then to deny that thing after the money is spent.

In this case, they admit up-front that:
"Rebate is $20 per square of Timberline® Cool Series shingles
installed, up to $1000." It's gonna be significantly
less for your standard little 'single family detached' and
in reality, zero.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Promotions/11_06_24-Timberline-Cool-Series/Documents/Cool-Series-Redemption-Form.pdf

My experience with this kind of 'mail in rebate' has been
dismal. The mail service totally breaks down for those
claims, somehow.

--Winston