Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Axles and Balance

Jim Levie wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:08:43 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

I have a utility trailer , 5X8 with an expanded metal deck . This
trailer tilts , as it was designed as primarily an ATV hauler , and
the axle is centered under the box . This causes problems with low
tongue weight and stability at highway speeds when I load the Harley
up in it .

I'd go for the simple and easy solution. Put the bike on the trailer
and add ballast to the front of the trailer.

Pretty much what I decided after considering all my options . Big cooler ,
a toolbox , suitcases , etc will be enough to give me 10% tongue load .
I considered notching the top rail to let the bike roll forward some , but
couldn't figger a way to reinforce that area . Major structural integrity
problem , IMO .
--
Snag
Learning keeps