Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default [OT] Followup: Roofing Sheet Metal

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:44:40 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Yeah. "Warranty void if product exposed to sunlight."
Typical corporate CYA.

"Limitations and exclusions apply."

Here is a random rule of thumb from an entirely
different source:
"As shingle degradation is large a function of oxidation,
the rates of this decomposition can be expected to
follow the laws of chemical reactions. Accordingly, if
the average shingle temperature was elevated
by 2°F, the shingle life expectancy might be reduced by 11%."

From:
http://www.dca.state.fl.us/FBC/publi...eportFinal.pdf

Based on the 50 - year warranty for the product we bought
and the essentially unvented character of the attic

No gable vents or soffit vents?

Two gable vents and ~12 rafter - end vents
are all 'gozintas'.
That is on the 'input' side, low on the roof.

You also need a 'comezoutta'. Before the re-roof,
we had full length ridge vents. After the re-roof,
we had a few of these dinky little useless
'eyebrow' vents. No Comezoutta.

Illustration: I was replacing rafter-end-vent
grills on the end of the house opposite the
incoming prevailing wind. Each time I would
pop a grill off, I'd get a face full of hot air
from the attic. Now, that air should have been
exiting out the top of the house instead.
It had nowhere to go, as a practical matter.

space before I installed my three solar power vents,
I suppose that I am all done worrying about roofing!

Cha CHING!

It's one of those 'pay me now or later' things.
I think we covered my reasoning behind the
solar power. You might reasonably say I should
have used some of those wheely turbine deals.

The aesthetics chief would have hit the roof!

(...)

Careful, you're making SENSE now...

I suppose it had to happen eventually.....

Well, the potential was there, anyway.

Your faith is boundless.

4) It's a Hobby!

A) Alternative energy is a real interest of mine.
I like participating to some small degree.

Then why didn't you build your own?snicker

I wanted it to work properly without any snags, first thing

Oh, ye of little faith...

Well *no* faith actually.

out of the box. This old guy is tired enough of clomping
about on the roof.

I hear that.

I think a wind charger would be a *lot* more fun anyway!

(...)

SWMBO is the aesthetic in the family. She chose a blend
of colors that tend toward the (cough) um. dark.

You couldn't sway her with comfort/cost savings, eh?

First I heard of the decision, the shingles were on the roof.
I doubt I could have swayed her with a '3 degree F' argument.

Can you say PW?gd&r

She is SWMBO for a reason.

(...)

Yabbut, think of the temp rise in the actual shingle to get your 3
degrees through the wood.

It's a bunch, I agree.
In looking at the paperwork just now, I found these are
'lifetime' guarantee shingles with 10 years parts and
labor. SWMBO told me the warranty was 50 years.
Not that it matters to either of us!

(Color / heatrise relationship)

Oh, you didn't know?

See above. I suspected, but the aesthetics director made
the call. They look very nice.

(...)

Please post to YouTube.

Oh, so you're likin' the infamy, are ya? No, I won't post it.

I just wanted to hear what 'nonplussed' sounded like
over the phone.

--Winston