Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] Followup: Roofing Sheet Metal

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:44:40 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:01:00 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:51:14 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

For the first time in years, the garage is now cooler
than the air outside.

And why is this more important to you than ~$250?

1) Economy

A) The roofing job on this place cost us $18,000.
(Eighteen Thousand US dollarettes). I know that
the shingles and roof deck will last years longer,
now that they will be cooler during the summer and
dryer year-round.

Have you researched it? What kind of numbers do they put out? I'm
truly curious.

The manufacturer of the comp shingles did not provide so
much as a graph. (They know their audience, after all).
They spoke in broad generalities about the destructive
properties of heat and / or humidity to the roof and
decking.

Yeah. "Warranty void if product exposed to sunlight."
Typical corporate CYA.

Here is a random rule of thumb from an entirely
different source:
"As shingle degradation is large a function of oxidation,
the rates of this decomposition can be expected to
follow the laws of chemical reactions. Accordingly, if
the average shingle temperature was elevated
by 2°F, the shingle life expectancy might be reduced by 11%."

From:
http://www.dca.state.fl.us/FBC/publi...eportFinal.pdf

Based on the 50 - year warranty for the product we bought
and the essentially unvented character of the attic

No gable vents or soffit vents?

space before I installed my three solar power vents,
I suppose that I am all done worrying about roofing!

Cha CHING!

(...)

Careful, you're making SENSE now...

I suppose it had to happen eventually.....

Well, the potential was there, anyway.

4) It's a Hobby!

A) Alternative energy is a real interest of mine.
I like participating to some small degree.

Then why didn't you build your own?snicker

I wanted it to work properly without any snags, first thing

Oh, ye of little faith...

out of the box. This old guy is tired enough of clomping
about on the roof.

I hear that.

I think a wind charger would be a *lot* more fun anyway!

5) It's amusing!

A) The same sun that is warming the house is also circulating
lots of air to keep me cool. I like the dichotomy.

B) The sadists that re-roofed this place have *not* won.
I am no longer boiling in my own juices during the
summer months. I like that.

What color roofing did you choose?

SWMBO is the aesthetic in the family. She chose a blend
of colors that tend toward the (cough) um. dark.

You couldn't sway her with comfort/cost savings, eh?
Can you say PW? gd&r

Elsewhere in the literature, I see that a naturally ventilated
attic should only experience a temperature rise of about 3 F
going from white to black shingles, so perhaps the world will
not end for that reason.

Yabbut, think of the temp rise in the actual shingle to get your 3
degrees through the wood.

Mine's beige, the lightest I've
seen locally. I'll likely go white the next time, and I'll seal the
attic and insulate the roof. I need to have all the trees down before
that, though. I spent 3 hours on the roof cleaning yesterday.

In retrospect it would have been wiser for us to have chosen
a lighter color. Oh Well!

Oh, you didn't know?

C) The garage measures about 500 sq. ft. The fan is rated
for 1200 sq. ft. Overkill is insufficient.

2.4x seems fine to me. I'm calling the photon police. You're using
far too many. Then I'm calling the AGWKers to let them know that
you're venting heated air into the atmosphere, trying to melt the
remaining 1/5th of a glacier that remains on our overheated planet.

Please post to YouTube.

Oh, so you're likin' the infamy, are ya? No, I won't post it.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,