Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default AIWA AD-F810 3-Head Tape Deck

"J.B. Wood" wrote in message
Hello, all. After not using the subject cassette deck for several years I
decided to use it (with a computer) to convert a number of cassettes to
mp3s. Previously this deck had been trouble-free (I purchased it in the
early '90s.) The tape head mechanism is not moving up to engage the
cassette even though the drive motor is turning the cassette's spindles
when "play" is selected. Also, the area around where the tape sets when
in the deck is quite warm. I haven't taken off the cover of the deck so
I'm wondering whether I have a worn/broken belt problem and/or something
worse. Thank you for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

You'll likely find that in the intervening period since it was last used,
the main drive belt has decomposed into stretchy goo ... I see it all the
time. Some of the flat belts are getting quite difficult to obtain now.

Arfa