Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AIWA AD-F810 3-Head Tape Deck

Hello, all. After not using the subject cassette deck for several years
I decided to use it (with a computer) to convert a number of cassettes
to mp3s. Previously this deck had been trouble-free (I purchased it in
the early '90s.) The tape head mechanism is not moving up to engage the
cassette even though the drive motor is turning the cassette's spindles
when "play" is selected. Also, the area around where the tape sets when
in the deck is quite warm. I haven't taken off the cover of the deck so
I'm wondering whether I have a worn/broken belt problem and/or something
worse. Thank you for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"J.B. Wood" wrote in message
Hello, all. After not using the subject cassette deck for several years I
decided to use it (with a computer) to convert a number of cassettes to
mp3s. Previously this deck had been trouble-free (I purchased it in the
early '90s.) The tape head mechanism is not moving up to engage the
cassette even though the drive motor is turning the cassette's spindles
when "play" is selected. Also, the area around where the tape sets when
in the deck is quite warm. I haven't taken off the cover of the deck so
I'm wondering whether I have a worn/broken belt problem and/or something
worse. Thank you for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

You'll likely find that in the intervening period since it was last used,
the main drive belt has decomposed into stretchy goo ... I see it all the
time. Some of the flat belts are getting quite difficult to obtain now.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/12/2011 8:06 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, all. After not using the subject cassette deck for several years
I decided to use it (with a computer) to convert a number of cassettes
to mp3s. Previously this deck had been trouble-free (I purchased it in
the early '90s.) The tape head mechanism is not moving up to engage the
cassette even though the drive motor is turning the cassette's spindles
when "play" is selected. Also, the area around where the tape sets when
in the deck is quite warm. I haven't taken off the cover of the deck so
I'm wondering whether I have a worn/broken belt problem and/or something
worse. Thank you for your time and comment. Sincerely,

John,

I'll also add to Arfa's comment that in addition to the belts, there
may be dried lubrication that has turned into something that looks more
like contact cement than grease. This can stop the head block from
moving up into position. On some machines, the pressure roller pivots
are a big issue.

BE CAREFUL! These parts are small and easily bent which will ruin the
alignment of the machine, and possibly make it unrepairable.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 09/12/2011 08:17 PM, Arfa Daily wrote:

You'll likely find that in the intervening period since it was last
used, the main drive belt has decomposed into stretchy goo ... I see it
all the time. Some of the flat belts are getting quite difficult to
obtain now.

Arfa

Thanks to Arfa and all who replied.
--