Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Source for 55 gallon plastic drum ?

On 9/11/2011 4:41 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:41:48 -0400,
wrote:

On 9/11/2011 5:18 PM,
wrote:
(snip)
If you are worried about having enough water in an emergency, install
a couple of old electric hot water heaters in the basement - hung from
the ceiling or on a strong rack would be best - and have all your
water go through them so the water is always "fresh". In case of a
power failure you could drain water from them. No vent required if you
just crack a tap open above it to let air in.

Okay, McGyver. Somehow that doesn't sound real practical, or cheap. It
gets TOO nasty, I can just go to a hotel. Only problem with the Memorial
day storm was, the damage and outage was so widespread, there wasn't a
hotel room within 50 miles. I managed, but it wasn't pleasant. 20 or 30
gallons of stored water would have made it a lot easier. I was looking
for a cheap and painless way to do that. Like 4 or 5 5gallon plastic
jerry cans for less than 20 bucks each.

Go to the camping supply department at Walmart or whatever your
favourite local reseller is, and buy a couple of camping water totes.
Ours was blue - 5 US gallons, and had a tap on it and a little vent
plug that you needed to pull. Only problem is keeping the water FRESH.

they also have square 7 gallon blue water jugs there.

you can get 5 gallon water jugs like the water delivery trucks at
walmart or the stores that sell water for .25/gallon if they have them
in your area.