Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

The electric tape spiral works, for me. There is now wide,
black tape that is UV resistant. For outdoor use, probably
not an issue in a cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

I've used electrical tape in the past, works well. You
don't have to
wrap the insulation completely, just make a spiral around it
or for long
perfectly straight runs just a ring around it every couple
feet. In
fact, I was going to do same thing you're doing this
afternoon, but for
different reasons (energy savings, and in the interest of
bringing as
much hot water as possible to the shower - both I and
roommate subscribe
to the "set the shower to 'third degree burn' and then dial
it back two
notches" method of setting water temperature...)

I did some insulating in my parents' basement w/ that split
pipe
insulation stuff and 3M electrical tape maybe 20 years ago
for reasons
of condensation (incoming water pipe from a very deep well)
and as far
as I know it's still in place. I got all fancy with
mitering the
corners and such to make it look nice

nate

--