Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Special purpose low-power air conditioning - metal involved!

On 9/10/2011 8:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Years ago, I bought a two stroke engine powered generator,
off Ebay. It was about 1,000 watts, and cost about $140 post
paid to my door. I havn't tried to run my AC with it, but
who can tell. Perhaps a two stroke generator would power
your AC? My ETQ is amazingly quiet. Being a two stroke,
might run on the same gas mix you feed your boat motor. My
small engine repair course, they taught us that water cooled
boat motors take a lower grade of mix oil than air cooled
(chainsaw, generator, etc.) Air cooled engines run hotter.
My ETQ generator weighs about 55 pounds.

I dunno, Storm.

First up, my outboard is a 4 stroke water cooled (Yamaha 9.9),
and I drive up to Oklahoma to the Jet Petroleum station to buy (non-
alcohol ) gas for it (19 miles - big deal).
So it doesn't used mixed fuel.

That just started a couple of months ago because the marina could no
longer supply non-alcohol fuel.

This is a 2001 vintage motor and it has never had gasahol in it.

I have a small window air conditioner for the boat which works quite
well at the dock. But this summer is has been earning it's keep at
home. Two small window units take a huge load off the ancient central
air system and have cut our summer electric bills in half - even in this
high temp summer.

Anyway, the AC unit is supposedly rated at 750 watts.
That would mean the gen set would be running at 3/4 power all the time.
and I dunno about start surges!

Is it this one? That's not a bad unit for the buck.
They used to have them on the shelf at Northern Tools, but all gone now.
But I think I saw one at Costco recently.

http://tinyurl.com/3atuzxh

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHYQ8gIwBw