Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default [OT] Roofing Sheet Metal

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:44:51 -0700
wrote:

snip
One can always remove the coarse screen and install
a finer screen, I suppose.

Nowadays the vents that look like mine (as I previously mentioned)
have slots. The kind were you make a slit and force this open. I looks
like something done with a press, kaboom, screen/filter done. This is
integral to the bottom part or flange area that attaches to the roof.

I was referring to the screens that come in the
'whole house' fans. The one in my fan for example
is a fairly coarse mesh. I will keep an eye on it
and if it lets in any uninvited guests, I will
install a finer mesh screen.

Our Box-elder Beetles and Stink Bugs would have a ball with it. The old
(~40 years) ones I currently have are window screen size mesh, work
good. You're right, I could add some sort of screen and kinda of
figured I would have to. But this is all kind of hard to determine
feasibility until you have the power vent and then you may find it
isn't all that feasible..

It looks pretty simple on my power vent.
I think I could cut screen to match and use pop
rivets and spreader bars to install.

That would be ME. I got the unattached garage redone a year ago. Busted
my butt for ~2 weeks.

Good on ya. I wouldn't know where to start with a tearoff
and rebuild like that. Doubtless the results will be very nice.

Lots of back-breaking labor, by the end of the day my knees were pretty
upset with me. Go off to bed thinking I'm too damn sore to do more
tomorrow and low-and-behold by the next morning I felt functional
again even though I didn't sleep so well. If you want to stop around
sometime next year I'll get an extra tear-off shovel and provide
some HANDS ON instruction. Think I already have extra hammers,
knives... ;-)

You are too generous by half, Leon.
Thank you but no.

I helped several old friends re-roof when I was younger but they
aren't in any shape nowadays to be of use. Hell they could hardly keep
going 30 years ago. I know better than to mention it...

Ouch.

snip
My local liquor store gave me several wood pallets for the asking.
I bet I could buy some 3 ply cartons and a strap kit to create several
pallet boxes. Sorta like:
http://www.idspackaging.com/Common/E...packaging1.jpg

snip

That's an interesting idea. Hadn't considered something along those
lines. The dumpster isn't really a bad deal, I just can't fill it fast
enough. It works pretty nice to just throw the tear-off from the roof
to the dumpster or container down below. I've pretty much blown off the
thought of doing it yet this year so I'll have all winter to stew on it.

I see a large square tube frame supporting an
elevated open-topped box with a 'funnel'
shaped bottom.
Box lip is at roof level. Fill it up
at your leisure and park the dumpster
underneath. Pull the trap door and viola,
one full dumpster!

--Winston -- Welding Practice!