Mike Hide

Default Norm's mahagany finish

"p_j" wrote in message
Mike Hide wrote:

Added a web page for your information, paneled room and desk both in

laquer
...mjh http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

How odd that you show paneling in an interior to demonstrate that you
are vastly superior because you are more than "just a carpenter."
Paneling as well as built ins are typically done by carpenters.

Thanks for the compliment, I can assure you it is not justified, your
description not mine .

And for information these are not typical built ins as done by carpenters
,that's why I was asked to do the job .
Again I am sure if a carpenter could have done the job there were plenty on
site including trim carpenters that the superintendent ,architect or even
the customer could have selected .

It includes several unusual design elements like the odd space next to
the desk, the narrow panel next to the windows, the narrow mitered
casings in the context of the room, use of a chair rail and use of
baseboard rather than use of the lowest rail.

Regarding the area next to the door the architect specified the cased door
opening even the double doors. My initial design was a single door opening
to the side of the bookcase. In addition the Carpenters had screwed up the
wall in this room to accommodate equipment in the room behind it.the actual
door frame area was bumped out nearly 9 inches from the wall plane.

Each double door is 13" wide and is designed to fit inside the door casing
so that when open they look like a continuation of the regular room wall
paneling .Both doors have to be open as there is not sufficient access to
get into the room . Normally with a double door entrance one door can remain
closed and there is still sufficient room to provide access.

I designed it but had to incorporate these stipulations by the architect and
the customer.

So to answer you question that is the reason for the small recessed panel
between the bookcase and the cased doorway.It does have its points I suppose
as there are more exposed outside corners in the moldings which always gives
more interest .

As far as the narrow panel next to the windows, those areas were left by the
carpenters when they framed the windows. Perhaps you would have had them run
the windows all the way into the adjacent walls, in my view that would have
been a disaster.

As far as what you call a "built in" that is actually a fitted breakfront .
Under the left hand bookcase are two lateral file cabinets .under the right
hand bookcase are provisions for a printer, fax machine,scanner, paper et
al.

All the doors as can be seen mirror the paneling under the chair rail area
of the room . The chair rail area above the knee hole flips down and pulls
out housing a keyboard and an area for a mouse pad, of course the center
section houses the computer monitor behind rollback doors using a mechanism
of my own design [featured long before the commercial ones of today, grass
hinges on drawerslides] .

Many people who are just carpenters would consider those errors.

Of course they would particularly if they were uninformed

As for the finish, I personally don't care for undarkened plain sawn
oak. With the excessive detail and raised panels (another unusual
choice) it is loud to say the least.

Well believe it or not it is stained, and giving the customer several
options that is what HE liked and lets face it that is what matters.
Just as Norm decided to put a walnut stain on a perfectly good piece of
mahogany, which poses the question to the likes of me or perhaps Ed ,why not
in that case use poplar, or some other inexpensive wood rather than
something that can be made beautiful.
Presumably from all accounts Norm decided that mahogany was too red [I did
not see the show personally] that was his reasoning for using a walnut
stain. I my opinion that shows ignorance of the basics of finishing . Again
inasmuch that the finishing can make or break a piece of furniture the
people who run the show should get Norm off the screen and get a qualified
finisher like Jewitt on the program for a whole series to teach the ins and
outs of finishing

It seems to me this would be an excellent idea [even if it comes from me ]
given the numerous posts on this group concerning finishing problems .

As far as the raised panels and the details, believe it or not some folks
have liked their rooms done like that for the last 400 years

I'm surprised the room didn't have a coffered ceiling.

the ceiling was a disaster. There was an added room above this room so the
ceiling joists were doubled up and additional supports added .No attempt was
made to make sure the ceiling was level or even the lower surface of the
scarfed in joists were coplanar. In the left hand corner above the "built
in" the ceiling dropped 2" in just over a foot. furthermore the normal
pitfalls were still there ,no corners plumb no corners square no walls flat
etc.

The computer desk has some odd design choices as well particularly the
miter to divide it where strength is needed and the joint is obvious,

Sorry I have no idea what you are referring to, however I can assure you
there is plenty of strength desi gned into the desk.

but what I'm curious about is what you are? You refer to Nahm as "just a
carpenter" and I'm curious what one becomes when being a carpenter is
transcended?

What am I, just a guy trying to make a living and doing what I like to do
best. What does one become when one transcends being a carpenter ? I have
no idea, but I would as You obviously believe they are already Gods, where
is there to go?

mjh