Charlie Self

Default Norm's mahagany finish

Ed Pawlowski states:

hat should be left to the user, not the man with a lot of
influence over how people do woodworking. Yes,he does have a lot of
influence as all TV personalities do.

You're kidding, right? Or you've never seen the Parkersburg "news
personalities." I've gotten so I can barely watch the show for fits of laughing
at their malapropisms and general lack of knowledge about any subject
whatsoever, including how to speak the English language. I guess that's
influence, but I don't think it's what you mean.

Basically, a person watching, or reading, has some obligation to the material,
to learn enough to make a judgment call. If that isn't done, then whatever that
person gets is probably close to what he deserves.

Yeah, I know tyros need more help, but forcing a show to cater only to tyros is
limiting the show drastically.

I've seen mahogany that is helped by staining, as I've seen walnut and cherry
that are helped by staining. Someone else might disagree with me: hell, I like
the natural color of white oak, but these days unfumed white oak seems to be
anathema to most woodworkers. Personally, I don't much care for the emphasis
fuming places on the rays: they're much more attractive (to me) in a more
natural state.

So, as used to be said in the '70s, different strokes for different folks.

He does a lot of nice things and I've learned some things fromhism, but I
also know that just like me, he has faults. --

I'm glad you guys got all the faults.

Charlie Self
I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html