Posted to rec.woodworking
kansascats kansascats is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

Agree. Plan is to attach the brackets to a 2x4; sit the 2x4 on the
floor; and then screw the 2x4 to the wall stud every 12" or so. Maybe
a lag screw instead, but again, 5 shelves @100# max, with most of
that being transferred to the floor, does not leave a lot of force
perpendicular to the wall. I plan to do some "hanging around" as a
test. Keeping that load tight against the supporting 2x4 is an
important part of this. That's why I'm only using 14" brackets, and
likely only to use the first 8-10" of that. I want to be able to
place 3 2x4's on a rack, so that's 10.5", so really a 12" bracket
would be fine. I'll look into this. Also, if I'm going to give
myself 4' of clearance underneath, then either there will be only 4
brackets or the spacing between each will be more like 9.5".

On Sep 9, 7:49*pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:14:15 -0700 (PDT), kansascats

wrote:
OK.. been toiling with this for years.
What am I missing?

I bet the weak link is the wall anchorage. *Screws pulling out, screws
missing studs, that kinna' stuff.

Jes' sayin'....

-Zz