Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Baffling economics of metal sales

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:04:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 8, 12:11*am, wrote:

Ontario has a slightly better choice and I was able to order 3" diam
3/16" discs for - $0.78 a disc!

If anyone can explain the economics of this feel free to enlighten me.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I have no real idea, but possibly some one was paying for 3 inch
diameter holes in some 3/16 material.

The discs are all supposed to be supplied by Wagner The very same disc
in the same quantity is sold by Wagner for $1.85.

I can see the other vendor saying *no* by sticking on 550% markup -
but why? It took 3 e-mails to get to that point. Somebody got paid for
that. Just say no!

I am beginning to believe that this "bad economy" is a figment of my
imagination and I do not just base it on this episode.

I asked 4 companies to give me an estimate on a $1000 job. Two did not
turn up. One did and never sent an estimate. The last one took 3 weeks
to phone in the estimate. After I asked for it in writing I never
heard from him again. I did the job myself - for half the price.

On another job three estimates ranged from $450 to $900. I recognized
the last contractor: he is a complete pillock and I would not let him
do the job for free (the reason I called him is that unbeknown to me
he changed companies - again). Did he really expect to get the job or
was it just another way of saying "no"?

I need a tree cut down. So far only one returned phone call after 24
hours.

And so on.

It seems that at least locally one can make comfortable living without
paying too much attention to one's business practices.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC