Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default [OT] Roofing Sheet Metal

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:50:27 -0700
wrote:

snip
There are non-solar 'whole house' fans in the sub $100 range
that will install quickly and easily, too.

I've looked at them in sale ads but something about the
design turns me off. I suspect they are lacking in the insect/screen
area but haven't been able to examine one to be sure.

One can always remove the coarse screen and install
a finer screen, I suppose.

(...)

Probably just use a manual switch, maybe a timer. I worked as an
electricians apprentice for a few years early in my life so I'm
familiar with stuff like that. Lots of options, could always make some
changes if I don't like how it works...

Excellent.
I really don't like being in the 'control loop',
so a switch or windup timer wouldn't work as
well for me.

Please PLEASE stay on top of your roofer WRT venting.

That would be ME. I got the unattached garage redone a year ago. Busted
my butt for ~2 weeks.

Good on ya. I wouldn't know where to start with a tearoff
and rebuild like that. Doubtless the results will be very nice.

The house needs it too, but I still need to find
a good little heavy duty trailer for cheap (I hate dickering with
people and new is not an option). The dumpster guys only want to leave
one for a week (BTDT), then they want to bill you more for having it
sit around. If I have my own trailer it can sit around till I'm ready to
dump it. I have two layers of old three-tabs to tear off. Probably take
me a good month or two to get it done. Trying to dodge the rain while
doing it by myself drives me nutty...

My local liquor store gave me several wood pallets for the asking.
I bet I could buy some 3 ply cartons and a strap kit to create several
pallet boxes. Sorta like:
http://www.idspackaging.com/Common/E...packaging1.jpg

Fill with debris at your leisure and use a pallet jack
to place them on a flat trailer rented for the day.
http://www.rentalsite.com/Images/RSN...es/ByID/83.jpg

Off to the dump and no-one's the wiser.

--Winston