Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Axles and Balance

On Sep 9, 12:23*pm, Tim wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:08:43 -0500, Snag wrote:
I have a utility trailer , 5X8 with an expanded metal deck . This
trailer tilts , as it was designed as primarily an ATV hauler , and the
axle is centered under the box . This causes problems with low tongue
weight and stability at highway speeds when I load the Harley up in it ..
I want to move the axle back enough to stabilize it at highway speeds
with the weight more or less centered in the box . I don't care if I
lose the tilt feature , I'm not using it anyway . I prefer 2X lumber
ramps .
* My question is , how far do I move the axle ? Do I want a 60/40 split
* on
distance ? 55/45 ? ISTR that the ideal tongue weight is 10% of total
weight , which would indicate 55/45 .
* But I'm not sure , and this isn't something I can easily try different
configurations . I'd like to be ready to roll by monday am , the wife
and I have been talking about splitting to the land (Ozarks , wooded ,
no TV, no telephone) for a few daze .

* For those who care - the welds will be made with the tombstone and
* 6013
rod . The trailer frame is mild steel angle iron , I see no need for
7018 . Test coupons of the closest material I have on hand will be
welded and cut/tested before I weld the actual trailer . Hmm , I might
be able to add alternate spring mounts and leave the originals in place
. I'd be able to restore the original config if needed that way .

You want 60/40, or 55/45 by weight, not length.

I know it'd be a bitch, but I don't know how much -- have you tried just
putting the Harley on backwards and going for a drive? *If nothing else,
it'll give you an idea of the weight distribution.

I'd go find a feed store or other operation with a scale, and weigh the
front and back of the bike. *This would tell me the weight distribution
of the bike (which should be at least somewhat heavier in back, and lots
more if it has a good amount of rake to it). *Then I'd figure out just
where the axle needed to be to get the weights right.

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

Alternately, cut the front "fence" and lay some U-channel so you can
move the front wheel forward onto the tongue.
Might be easier, and retain the current configuration for other duties.