Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Axles and Balance

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:08:43 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

I have a utility trailer , 5X8 with an expanded metal deck . This trailer
tilts , as it was designed as primarily an ATV hauler , and the axle is
centered under the box . This causes problems with low tongue weight and
stability at highway speeds when I load the Harley up in it . I want to move
the axle back enough to stabilize it at highway speeds with the weight more
or less centered in the box . I don't care if I lose the tilt feature , I'm
not using it anyway . I prefer 2X lumber ramps .
My question is , how far do I move the axle ? Do I want a 60/40 split on
distance ? 55/45 ? ISTR that the ideal tongue weight is 10% of total weight
, which would indicate 55/45 .
But I'm not sure , and this isn't something I can easily try different
configurations . I'd like to be ready to roll by monday am , the wife and I
have been talking about splitting to the land (Ozarks , wooded , no TV, no
telephone) for a few daze .

For those who care - the welds will be made with the tombstone and 6013
rod . The trailer frame is mild steel angle iron , I see no need for 7018 .
Test coupons of the closest material I have on hand will be welded and
cut/tested before I weld the actual trailer . Hmm , I might be able to add
alternate spring mounts and leave the originals in place . I'd be able to
restore the original config if needed that way .

60/40 should do it.

Ive a similar trailer..and because of the fenders being welded to the
frame and sides..there is no easy way to move the axle back that extra
12-16" and I have to load heavy at the front.

I welded up the tilt features after having the locking pin come
out..fortunately while loaded heavy at the front.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.