Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding thin round stuff

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 08:23:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:15:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
We see good and bad examples of square drive bits and screws. I have a box
of #2 square stainless screws that strip more easily than Phillips.

Have you tried another brand of driver bit? Quality varies all over
the map with those things. DAMHIKT. What I hate is when the bit
breaks in the screw. It can't be drilled out, but sometimes a prick
punch can loosen it.

These are definitely extra-soft screws, stainless steel deck screws from
some overstock/closeout place. So I predrill and set the clutch light. All
the other stainless screws from there have been fine; Robertson just isn't
very popular around here even though the older carpenters are Canadien.

That's too bad on both counts.

Snappy now sells quick change hex-shank tapered drill bits like the kitchen
cabinet installers use.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/148014.jpg

Huh? Which cabinet installers use tapered woodscrews?
I have an unused set of HF tapered billdrit/countersinks, but they're
round ended.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King