Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Lyford Glenn Lyford is offline

Default Baffling economics of metal sales

On Sep 8, 12:11*am, wrote:
Not so long ago there was a thread about cutting circular shapes out
of plate steel. The cheapest solution was stamping and somebody kindly
posted a link to Wagner Co. which has a great assortment of such discs
at a reasonable cost (about $1.85 a disc, depending on quantity). The
problem was shipping - UPS only and $$$ across the border.

Cutting the discs by plasma - $6 a disc, water jet - $10.

After I failed to find anyone prepared to stamp 2-7/8" diameter, 3/16"
thick discs within 150 km of here I approached Wagner who kindly
pointed me to a couple of Canadian distributors - one in Vancouver,
one in Ontario.

Vancouver only had a limited choice. They were prepared to get them
from Wagner if I was prepared to wait 6 weeks and pay - $12 a disc!

Ontario has a slightly better choice and I was able to order 3" diam
3/16" discs for - $0.78 a disc!

Admittedly their ordering procedure is weird and it took two e-mails
and a phone call to get some idea of the total cost (the e-mail and
phone call quotes for shipping were different) but I eventually placed
the order and we shall see what pans out.

If anyone can explain the economics of this feel free to enlighten me.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I suspect it's simply a reflection of the broader market for the
pieces cut to a whole number dimension. I'd also bet the price goes
up more the finer the fraction you want whole-half-quarter, etc.

Just my guess,
--Glenn Lyford