Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Baffling economics of metal sales

wrote in message
Vancouver only had a limited choice. They were prepared to get them
from Wagner if I was prepared to wait 6 weeks and pay - $12 a disc!

Ontario has a slightly better choice and I was able to order 3" diam
3/16" discs for - $0.78 a disc!
If anyone can explain the economics of this feel free to enlighten me.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Perhaps you found someone who already had the right tooling left over from a
previous job.

Welcome to the messy world of the build-or-buy decision that confounds small
outfits developing new products. One of the reasons I first learned machine
shop practice was to better understand production engineering. I inventoried
the punch collection for the shop's Strippit press and tried not to specify
hole sizes outside it. I wish electrical engineers would similarly bother
themselves to learn the standard resistor values and tolerances instead of
calling out 5K and expecting it exactly.

jsw