Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default How to remove pool drain cover 9 feet under water to check for a clogged pipe?

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 06:21:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I also would not use a plastic bag to close off the
side suction port. Not effective and too easy for
it to wind up in the pipe. You can get a winterizing
plug which is essentially like a rubber stopper with
a wingnut on it that expands it. They are available
here in the NYC area at pool stores, but might not
be in CA, though they are useful for things other
than winterizing. You can also find them online.

Good advice about the plastic bag. I've not seen the plugs you
mention for a pool. I never close the pool in the desert :-/

HD sells a similar plug with a wingnut that you tighten...house
plumbing?

Once heard a pool guy suggest using a tennis ball on the skimmer pipe.

The plug sounds much safer -- preventing the bag being sucked into the
system.

Hope the OP tells us what he finds out.